The first night I whined in my crate (Chad's bedroom). Mom slept with me. After I stopped whining, Mom took me out and we had a good snuggle on the bed till I was tired again (and sent back to crate).
Mom took two weeks off work to get the household settled in the new routine (around me; I'm the center of the family now).
Every morning, I played the chase game. I grabbed a sock and ran around the living room and kitchen. Chad and Corinne chased me. Mom insisted I don't touch socks or any other human article and I only play with my toys. They were kept in a toy box in the front of the living room.
After I got my next round of shots, Mom introduced me to the leash. I was 9 weeks old. Pretty quickly I was OK on the flexi leash without jerking. I learned how far I could go before I reached the end of the leash.
At this point, even off leash, I followed Mom and kids around.
Ready to go places: Family took me to Lake Geneva or other hiking trail every day. We all learned how to walk together. Lake Geneva is very crowded in the summer. I got a lot of attention. A lot of people wanted to watch a rambunctious puppy or pet me. After awhile, I made a sad face if no one came over to pet me!
On every walk, when we were far away from the road, I was let off leash as long as I stayed with the family. Mom taught me to come, and would give me a treat each time I came when called.
Potty training was going very well. I made few mistakes. Whenever it was time to go out, I went with my human, but without a leash to my "spot", called the puppy garden (my personal area surrounded by hedges. I always got a treat when successful.
In a nutshell, I was on my way to becoming the perfect puppy. In those days, every one was happy with me and thought having a puppy was a breeze. Those were the days before I became the nickname "Mr. Menace" or "Milo Diablo" (to be continued in a later blog).
2009-05 DogPark Lanscaping
Saturday, June 24, 2006
- June 24, 2006 - Human family takes another ferry boat ride to pick me up. Sandie has me in arms and walks up to pier when boat docks. Celeste takes orange leash and proudly takes me to ferry boat pet area. (I have some toys from Sandie and most importantly a towel with smells from bio mom and siblings) Celeste puts me into crate (there are a few tears, because we are separated so soon). Ferry boat staff watch me during return trip home.
- How did I get my Name? Stay tuned for future blog entry
- June 24, 2006 - When we get back to Milwaukee, Celeste walks me to family car and puts me on her lap. We stop at Uncle Chuck's house to visit with Grandpa and Chuck and so I get a potty break.
- June 24, 2006 - afternoon- Next we go to my forever home. Mom and kids take me to the "puppy garden" a special area of the yard, screened in with bushes, where I am supposed to go relieve myself. Everybody waits till I go the first time. I get yummy treats and lots of "atta boys"
- June 24, 2006 - evening - Mom takes me inside. I find my crate with chewie toys and more treats. I spend time in crate and sometimes come back out to visit my new "pack". (Everyone is overcome with my cuteness).
- June 24, 2006 - night - When I get very sleepy, I'm put in my crate (in Chad's bedroom) and the door is closed. (I do a few "great big whines", but when no one pays attention to me, I settle down. Mom and girls take me out to the "puppy garden" once at night, and every 2 hours during the day. Mom has taken a week off work to get me settled in. The kids have summer vacation.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
- March, 2006 - Mom communicated with Sandie Ward of Great Lakes Labradoodles, in Michigan, USA, and filled out puppy application and joined waiting list.
Mom and Sandie traded updates and pics of Mom & Dad. Everyone was waiting for Truffles to give birth.
- April, 2006 - Mom hosts hosts a "puppy shower" for Celeste, who will be the human primarily taking care of me. There is cake, games, and most importantly toys for the future puppy (Milo).
- April 19, 2006 - I was born to Truffles (brown) and Flint (cream) at Great Lakes Labradoodles. I had 7 brothers and sisters. I was 2nd smallest (but, of course, *most adorable*) puppy.
- April 22, 2006 - Mom picks me, Orange Boy. At first family wanted a girl. (*disappointed Milo sigh); Then Chad (only boy with 3 sisters) started crying and said he wanted a puppy but could not handle living with any more girls! Mom quickly changed selection to me, Orange Boy, a.k.a the future Milo.
- May 25, 2006 - My human family came to visit me at Great Lakes Labradoodles; Grandpa and Christa's friend came too. They took a ferry across Lake Michigan. My future family met my bio Mom, Truffles, my siblings and my first home. At 5 weeks I was getting weaned. I lived in a puppy crate in a fancy house, in the living room with an expensive oriental carpet.
Family were very sad when they left. 1) They left a towel with smells from whole human family that I slept with from then on. 2) Celeste (human who loved me most) slept with the T-shirt she wore that day every night, so she would remember my puppy smell.